View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I’ve noticed that a number of folks are presenting their factory solutions as better mouse traps. And, I totally agree. For instance, the Fishman F1, Maton, Yamaha ART, etc. are all excellent systems. In fact, if Martin made a Adirondack topped guitar with the Fishman system I’d be mighty tempted. However, the argument that Rich Addison has been making has finally sunk in for me. These systems, and the guitars that contain them, are really perfect for full time performing/working musicians, because they come with two major caveats: the model choices are somewhat limited, so you’ll need to really love the offering, and when the systems break, you’ll have a much greater challenge replacing or repairing them.

Why is that? Do you simply mean it's easier to replace a completely outboard system (just plug the thing into something else), or is the internal installation on the guitar particularly challenging? I mean if/when it dies, I can see how changing the circuit board that processes everything and the volume etc. controls it's attached to could be a pain, but is there some world-class undersaddle neurosurgery involved?

Speaking as a very happy user of the Aura VT Enhance on one of my Martins.
* I'm one of the full-time working musicians that uses a "factory solution" in my MIJ Taks Cooltube "mousetrap" if it dies the Tak answer to the caveat in this particular case is you unplug two wires and easily pop out the interchangeable module/preamp and replace it. I keep an extra one in my gig bag so on break 2 minutes done! I also keep a secondary M80/mag and use one in my D18 as well. Plus to boot, the Cooltube has a secondary mag input on board! So all this works and as in all MIJ Taks if they come out with another mousetrap you like better, you just replace the interchangeable mousetrap! I've used all three different types of Taks wonderful preamps that have come out over the years and the Cooltube variants continue to evolve as well...CAVEAT SOLVED! ...and btw newer, "more advanced" isn't always better because I prefer the Cooltube ver 2 more than the newer ver 3 tho both work well and are interchangeable.

** BUT Chris your point is well taken in the case of the F1 Aura Plus and others like it, if it goes down, no quick fix at a show unless you keep a mag in your bag which if I decide to get the 000-18e Retro, I'll keep my secondary M80 in the case for the quick fix. However, that still doesn't solve the issue that the guitar will have be sent back or taken in somewhere for what may be a costly repair...now if I got a Retro and say down the the road a few years and a few hundred shows this were to happen, I'd weigh #1 the repair cost against how much I still like the guitar acoustically, #2 see if I feel like I got my moneys worth out of the F1 and it paid for itself, and if so, then perhaps I'd gut the F1 and replace it with the M80 which I like and use in my D18. I wouldn't care about the small holes because my guitars after that many shows look beat anyway. ...think that I now have a sound port in a 000-18 that's broke in and I enjoy!

*** It's really something each player can only decide based on their unique circumstances and uses...when I hang up the gigging, Lord willin', I'll just pull the M80 from my D18 and I have my organic lovely Martin to ride out on!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 12-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.