View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I literally think all Bob Colosi does is buy the LB6s at a dealer rate, carefully cut off the micarta saddles, and glue on one of his saddles. So, I'm sure someone could def do it at home if they had a steady hand and saw. I don't mind micarta and Taylor uses it as their primary saddle material as it, in their opinion, seems to compare well to Tusq but saddles are all preferential. It's not expensive to get one of Colosi's LB6s .

Funny enough, re: the LB6 comparing to the Takamine palathetic pickup, that pickup was its inspiration. Lloyd Baggs has said he designed it after deconstructing some Takamine pickups and then trying to see how he could shrink it down to make it retrofit into a normal guitar. The unitary piezo design was born and while it definitely sounds better then the Fishmans of the era, Fishman found greater success as the Thinline was production line friendly. The Baggs Ribbon Transducer and later the Element were probably born so they could more easily be stock systems.
Hmm that's very interesting about the Takamine and LB6 link. Definitely making me want to try it. It's too bad Bob no longer does the LB6 mod but I do have a Taylor and tend to prefer Tusq over bone anyway. I am sure Micarta will not change the ton substantially enough to kill the projection of the guitar. I just wish I could buy the LB6 and install it myself but I am not skilled enough to shape it because doesn't it come as just a flat piece? The other thing I wonder is if it will work with the pre-existing hole I have drilled in the bottom of the bridge for the Matrix wire to go through.