View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Isn't the LB6 just a piezo element glued to the bottom of a micarta saddle? If so, I wonder how difficult it would be to just get the piezo element itself and glue it to a bone saddle for example. I know there's a video online of a user doing it with great success. I also wonder if it would be possible to buy just the pickup portion from Lr Baggs. I think if they were even using Tusq I would go for. I just find micarta to be a bit too soft.

I agree, the LB6/Tonedexter clips are not great but again, I wouldn't use that much of a blend. Maybe even 50/50. The LB6 just seems to have the tone of a Takamine pickup in terms of its fullness. Something that standard UST pickups seem to lack. That's appealing to me, especially if I can pair it with a Tonedexter or Soundscape if it turns out to be a good system.
I literally think all Bob Colosi does is buy the LB6s at a dealer rate, carefully cut off the micarta saddles, and glue on one of his saddles. So, I'm sure someone could def do it at home if they had a steady hand and saw. I don't mind micarta and Taylor uses it as their primary saddle material as it, in their opinion, seems to compare well to Tusq but saddles are all preferential. It's not expensive to get one of Colosi's LB6s .

Funny enough, re: the LB6 comparing to the Takamine palathetic pickup, that pickup was its inspiration. Lloyd Baggs has said he designed it after deconstructing some Takamine pickups and then trying to see how he could shrink it down to make it retrofit into a normal guitar. The unitary piezo design was born and while it definitely sounds better then the Fishmans of the era, Fishman found greater success as the Thinline was production line friendly. The Baggs Ribbon Transducer and later the Element were probably born so they could more easily be stock systems.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic