View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Humanist

Recordings will tell the truth, but occur only after the direct physical experience of playing. Beginner and intermediate players may listen to recordings and say "yuch," but the changes one needs to make under these conditions will not be fully materialized with this method.

I suggest spending time playing slowly and trying to listen intensely to what you are creating, as you are doing it. Tone, rhythm, volume and accuracy all play a part.

Spend a lot of time doing this, and always play slowly enough to play through cleanly and in tempo.

The feedback-loop between the ears, brain, and hands needs to be developed, so that what the player is creating is intentional. (while it's being created).

One needs to train to listen to oneself, as it's happening. Learn to hear what you currently don't hear while you're playing. I believe that this is a skill that can't be developed with listening to recordings, exclusively. Listen harder while you're playing...

This is a major issue that I see with most beginner to even seemingly advanced students.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner