View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 AM
do what huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
OK, over the last couple of years in changing strings the saddle has gotten a few grooves that dont belong there. Its not a big issue but one of them is getting worse and I want to change it out. My shop gave me a blank plastic saddle made for this guitar. They told me I will probably need to sand down the overall height. Ok. But what is the easiest way to make the slots? This I have never done So.....Thanks for any suggestions. Scott
Take the original saddle and line the top up with the pre-shaped saddle from the shop. Using a thin pencil (.05) make a mark on the oversized saddle indicating the bottom of the original.

Using 220 grit sandpaper sand the bottom of the saddle flat until you reach your line. Place the saddle in the guitar, and string it up. Fine tune as you see needed.

My personal favorite is placing the saddle upside down in a bench vice. I use a file to get very close to the line, or right on it. This gives me a perfectly flat and square bottom, without hardly any effort.

As for the grooves being worn into the saddle, you really don't want that. Not only does it remove a proper break point for correct intonation and string ring, but strings wind up wearing the slots unevenly and removes the proper radius needed for maximum playability.

You might want to consider upgrading to bone, or ivory, depending on the tone desired. I would suggest Tusq, but it's very similar to the material used by Martin and tends to wear pretty quick as well (especially for a guy like me, who kills strings in a matter of days).
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel