View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

The device Tadol mentioned in his post costs $75 plus shipping. It is cloned from something I had made about 15 years ago on a CNC machine from a file accurate to .001”. About 2 hours are required to make the sled fixture it is the brains of, and then all that is required is any kind of table saw and one of the .023” kerf blades sold by either Stew-Mac or LMI.

The device cuts any scale length between 24 3/16” and 26 1/2” with high accuracy and complete repeatability. It can be recalibrated infinitely within the ballpark to any of these lengths in less that a minute, and takes me less than 2 minutes to slot the fingerboard.

When I was hand cutting my fingerboards I had nothing like this accuracy (neither do you) and careful layout plus cutting was at least an hours work. LMI’s system works well, I’m told, but requires a new template for each of its limited number of scale lengths.

This idea is something new, yet simple, and people have always been slow on the uptake with this kind of thing, sadly. I laugh every time I use it.