View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Interesting prelude regarding Acoustic amplification David. I look forward to whatever insight may be forthcoming.

I have a K&K in a Martin Outlaw 17 (as you may remember). Great, amazing guitar. I didn't want to alter the acoustic unplugged tone, so I opted for the K&K. It works reasonably well, with the usual caveats and shortcomings the K&K is known to possess.

I recently did some amplified comparisons. The Martin Outlaw 17 w/K&K PWM sounded good. At times it sounds very good. Other times it is quick to feedback, lacks air and sounds a like a Piezo (to my ears). I ran it through my Baggs Align EQ & Baggs Align Session into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I had to tweak the EQ and add treble for the K&K. It can lack 'air' and even though its an SBT, I think it exhibits some aspects of a Piezo. The lack of 'air' is something Mic's offer that I don't hear from any SBT or UST Pickups.

After playing the Martin Outlaw 17, I played the same thing through my Martin D-18 Cutaway with Baggs Anthem.

The D-18 Cutaway with Baggs Anthem sounded profoundly more musical than the Martin Outlaw 17 "Amplified". The Martin Outlaw 17 acoustically is louder, projects more and is more resonant. But the K&K failed to deliver the quality of sound I got from the D-18 Cutaway w/Baggs Anthem.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-11-2019 at 12:23 AM.