View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the next part for you.

Binding:

To remain loyal to the original concept of keeping it simple, I decided to keep the bindings as simple as possible. It was a pretty hard decision but I thought it will be the best for the instrument to go with ebony bindings and no purflings. Also no purflings around the top.
To enhance the comfort of the guitar I decided to add a micro bevel/double binding.
It came out beautiful and I am glad that I made those decisions.

The end graft had to match the back inlay so I inlayed a segment of the turquoise colored reconstone with some simple black lines around it.

Headstock/Fretboard

As with all my other guitars, the composition of the headstock and body combined with the fretboard in between is very important.
I have never seen a spruce headstock veneer before and was wondering why no one has done it before. It ties the headstock and body together like nothing else I could imagine. I decided to give it a go and since I had already designed this destinctive pattern for the rosette I wanted to reuse it on the headstock. After discussing the design with Ray Kraut, he had the idea of changing the colors on the segments. I emidiately loved the idea and after playing around with it I came up with the final design. To complement the body, I've decided to add an ebony binding around the headstock.

When deciding the material for the fretboard purfling, you have to think about colors and thicknesses. Usually I use the same thickness and color that I used for the purfling around the body, which most of the time would be a 0,3mm maple veneer if the body wood is dark or a 0,6mm maple veneer if the body wood has a lighter color.
On this guitar my decision felt more important for the overall look than usually. On one hand with no purflings around the body, I could easily make a fretboard without any purfling. This would devide the headstock and body and would make the distance inbetween feel bigger. On the other hand there is this hard contrast between the ebony bindings and the almost white spruce top. Using that would keep it more together.
I've decided not to use a purfling line which really lets the guitar look longer than it actually is but I am really happy with how the proportions appear.

More pictures are coming soon!