View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
I know I’m probably overthinking this...
A bit ...maybe more than a bit.

Trying to pick headphones from a frequency chart is like trying to pick a microphone from a frequency chart. It gives you some information but it doesn't give you the most important information. For example, what can a frequency chart tell you about clarity or colorization?

As Rudy4 said, read the reviews. You're not buying pro-audio or even consumer-audio level gear here (at least not so far as studio duties are concerned). I've never met someone who is relying on ear buds to do anything of importance in a studio. There can only be two reasons for that. Either ear buds are not well-suited for that work or no one has ever thought of the idea ...and since buds have been around for a long time, the odds of it being the latter are pretty much nil.

If you're having fun and learning something, great, but spending a lot of time pouring over the specs and details of every set of buds isn't likely to yield some hidden treasure that the recording industry has yet to discover. So read the reviews and see which buds have impressed people and go with one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
The graphs were from “reference-audio-analyzer.pro”. Besides the 7 different eartips the SoundMagic e50 also comes with a pair of Comply foam tips which I understand help mold to the ear canal for a little better fit. These are the ones that also had the in-line microphone option...which with my original question in this post...I was wondering if it might interfere with the sound.
I don't see why it should but I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer on that in a recording forum because buds aren't going to be found in 99.99% of studios. If you had questions about headphones, you'd find plenty of information in recording forums. I have four sets of headphones in my studio, zero buds.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube