View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
That is coming together REALLY fantastically. You're nearly there!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the top being braced?

By the way, how did you and Joel decide on the tone woods for this build? And what tonal characteristics are expected from this back?
I don't have photos of the top/bracing.

I'm a big believer in the top (and bracing, design, etc.) having a much larger impact on the guitar's tone than the back/body. That said, we're hoping the mahogany will provide some "sparkle" to the (hopefully) richness and warmth of the Engelmann top. With some Engelmann-topped guitars I've played—and there are so many variables that affect tone—I've heard some really nice color in the tone. I once owned an Engelmann/Macassar Ebony guitar that sounded really nice, but it was almost too rich and might have benefited from some more separation (clarity) in the notes. I tend to not like harshness in the trebles and prefer a fatter tone in the higher registers. I've often helped achieve this on other guitars by using medium (.13, .17) strings on the e and b strings (with lights on the rest).

Joel is very impressed with the tap of this particular set of mahogany. And he's worked with this Engelmann (sister to yours in fact) and has a very good idea of how to brace it for the sound we're hoping achieve.