View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have found that you do need to be more careful with highly figured woods but, being careful certainly reduces the chances of issues. The first thing, as Kevin mentioned, was to look for indicators that the wood is going to be trouble. If you aren't seeing any cracking on the open edges of the back plates, that is a good sign. Seasoning the wood is a great help as well. As wood becomes more seasoned it reacts to temp and humidity changes less and less. The very construction of a guitar back in some ways allows for woods expansion and shrinkage by have a slight dome so the wood has somewhere to go and help relieve tension. Finally, having all of the wood end grain secure helps eliminate crack starter points.
So yes, highly figured wood may be somewhat more likely to crack but it would be a shame to pass up a beautiful guitar that when taken care of lasts 40 years with no issues, because of undue concern.

Mark
Yes Mark, someone will get a very nice guitar with these woods. Very unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCavalier View Post
I love the highly figured woods as well. What do you think about laminating the back and sides.
Many people use highly figured woods/laminations. For me, the "test" is how the guitar sounds and plays in the right persons hands.

Kevin.