View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Aesthetically, they are indeed beautiful examples of nature (very much a rorschach test).

But for myself, I don't think that I would want an acoustic flat top constructed with the 1st or last sets (others mileage may differ). The middle two stump wood sets, while not exactly my "cup of tea" look more usable to me. Sap wood doesn't scare me in moderation on its own, but when together with a slab cut stump wood, I personally would not choose them no matter how aesthetically attracted I was.

As a player/customer, I focus on: 1) acoustic properties; 2) mechanical stability and then 3) aesthetics. One thing to consider, is that while they have been stable in your shop even under somewhat arid conditions, they are not under tension or compression and are free to expand or contract (e.g. Not glued within a mechanical system of woods of differing expansion coefficients). In situ, within the structure of a guitar the set is not free but is constrained is it not?

Thanks for sharing the sets and asking the question.

My $.02
iim7V7IM7 - thanks for you $.02. As a custom builder I certainly would be happy to work withing the parameters you desired as a player/customer. If you came to me and said "quartersawn straight grained", I'd have no problem working on that.