View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I agree 100%. I started taking lessons from Richard in December. I am learning A LOT from him. While he is teaching me some specific songs and skills, I am also learning a lot of non-specific things (how to practice intelligently, how to use a metronome in a way that isn’t torturous, how to learn without injecting a lot of tension and anxiety into the song, getting comfortable with open tunings, learning how to count time in a way that is helpful and illuminating, etc. ).

I took lessons from another teacher for 6 years from a guy that was a very good teacher and a very good guitarist (a fingerpickwr in the Jorma Kaukonen vein) . Richard is even better!

I am a big believer in live lessons. Videos and YouTube instructionals and tab are good for a certain kind of learning...exploring new songs and learning some minor things about technique. But live lessons can take you to an entirely new level, because of the individualized attention and the challenges that can be offered when a good teacher knows how to watch what you are doing and point out things that would escape your notice. And, of course, videos cannot respond to what you are doing and how you are playing.
Met with Richard today and we're going to give it a try. Very friendly fun loving guy. Do you get a lot done in your sessions?