View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 PM

The V Class bracing gives a very particular sound, which could be pleasing or disappointing depending on your perspective.
Claim- V Class bracing improves intonation
My experience- Well, yes and no. Intonation for fundamental notes on X brace guitars with saddle compensation can be very good if they're made well. With V Class bracing I have noticed that there is more agreement between notes in general, particularly noticeable for higher frequency harmonics and up the fingerboard. Play an open E chord EEBEBE and listen to them stack up. not to say that it doesnt happen with X Brace guitars but it definitely is brought out by the V brace.
Claim- V class increases sustain
My experience- Depends on a lot of variables. String mass, tensions, tunings, etc. In general, the character of the sustain V vs X is different. because of the purity of the sound, the notes retain more of their original identity rather than diffusing in the familiar way. For how much longer? still not willing to say, since my guitar is still opening up. But definitely will not disappoint.
Claim- V class increases volume
My experience- compare baselines with the same body shape. dread will probably have a little more potential than a GA. that said, 214ce from 2006 was not lacking. V class 314 had a little too much jangle, almost like a 12 string, but quiet. my V class 324- thumpy and loud. Guitars are individuals that sometimes follow trends. Important to point out that V class guitars tend to project more forwards as well and what you hear may not be what someone 10 feet in front hears.

In General-
The tone is very pure. Almost like the opposite of distortion pedal? picture transparent colored glass vs translucent rainbow glass. Some may call it sterile and tinny. Others may like it. I can try to elaborate more if anyone is interested or has a contrasting opinion