View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM

That's helpful - thanks, guys. I just spent an hour in my local Apple store touring the iMac (3.03 ghz, dual core, 1 tb hard drive, 4 gb - locked and loaded) and poking around in Logic Express and Logic. Doug, my impression agrees with yours: very oriented toward Midi and electric guitar effects, not so detailed on visualization and wave editing. In fact the guy I talked to, who was a working musician, didn't know what I was talking about with wave editing or noise reduction (he is not an open-mikes kinda guy).

I saw the "denoiser" (is this a French verb meaning to remove nuts?) and it appears to be just a crude shelf-type noise cut mechanism, not based on sampling your wave form. Harrumph.

I actually don't use NR all that much anymore because a mastering engineer's bound to have the tools to do it better, so maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill on that one. But durn it, I also love the spectral display and the band-aid tool....

So I guess I could go with Logic and keep Audition tied into the network on my current Dell for specialized editing, or keep it in a Windows partition (after paying Bill Gates AGAIN for XP - aaarrgh), or buy some expensive add-on like Izotope. All of which militate against that clean, single-solution world we strive for.

Sigh. But what nice hardware!

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage