View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Looking at the photos, I agree that having TRS on the first one was likely a space-saving design move. With 8 XLR connectors for mic/line inputs, it was pretty crowded.

On the second they dumped all the XLR inputs in favor of the 25 pin connector, freeing up all kinds of space. I'd bet the designers have a bias towards XLR, so they were able to put what they preferred into the back panel.
The XLR connectors on the top unit are actually XLR/TRS connectors. If you look closely, the centers of what appear to be XLR connectors are hollow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
To say that there is no bias in the professional audio world for XLR vs. TRS is to ignore decades of history. Old habits die hard.
The only bias I've noticed is when it comes to microphone cables. The reason, as I understand it, is an XLR allows the ground wire to connect first and that offers some protection against accidental damage. That's the reason I have an XLR pass through patchbay to handle connecting my mics to my preamps. But for everything else, I see plenty of TRS connectors on gear, including very high end gear. Outside of the XLR for mics thing, I don't see any patterm of industry bias. If TRS connectors are good enough to patch modules on $50K Neve boards, they're good enough for me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube