View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Generally it's not the flight crew who will give you a problem but rather the gate attendant. They always want to check my guitar. Some say the magic words "gate check" but some really want me to have it run with all the regular bags (ummm...no). "Waiving the regulations around" will possibly work with the gate attendant and, if not, with their Supervisor. The option to bring on a guitar is not up to the gate personnel, it's Federal Law. Yes, always be nice to the flight crew and yes, they'll often accommodate you if there's room in the crew closet.

The main thing is to stick to your guns (the government gave you this law for you to use) and yes, be polite but firm. Here's a recent example of airline people doing the wrong thing (contains link to the United Breaks Guitars" video - so a 2 for 1 here): https://liveandletsfly.com/flight-at...-violin-rules/
Good story, and Kudos to her for holding firm. If I were a professional musician carrying on a multi-thousand dollar violin I would most certainly have the pertinent regulations printed and ready. And I wasn't aware this was a federal law, so thanks for educating me on that.

As it is, my $400 GS Mini is perfect for my travel because it's durable, small so it fits in the bins of larger planes, and it's easily replaced if it gets damaged. And I've never had an issue (knock on wood) flying with it.