View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
How do we find relevance as an older musician? How do we avoid becoming just a silly old fart. What motivates you? That you have fun yourself (nothing wrong with that)?
Spreading joy to others? If so have you choosen music deliberately in line with that? Spreading a certain kind of music?
Any thoughts on what I'm after...even if I can't formulate it myself.

I'm not talking about famous people. People will alway want to here them play there old songs.

But for the rest of us that is god or ok musicians and does what so many others are doing?

I been thinking of this lately because I feel I need to sharpen my profile.

Any thought's?
Since I don’t play to the public at large (not anymore, anyway), I find that my only metric of importance is whether I’m enjoying playing. Period.

I do think it’s harder as an older musician to make music that people find relevant, and I can’t really explain that phenomenon. I can think of few exceptions of performers or bands whose later work (post “peak”) really inspires me the same way the earlier work did. This is counterintuitive, as you would think musicians get better with age. I think perhaps the thing that makes a performer stand-out or famous may become overly familiar as the gears go by. Then, when the musician(s) want to expand into something new, the fan base dies off. I think this is very hard to overcome.

So please yourself first, especially if you don’t make music as a career.