View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's an electric guitar that you owned and no longer have that you'd like to have back? Same with one that was for sale that you didn't pull the trigger on (but could afford).
Question #1:
  • Mid-70's Hagstrom Swede: best neck of any guitar I ever owned, traded it on:
  • First-run 1982 Fender '52 Tele reissue: the ones with the early-60's slim neck profile, had it rewired with a 5-way switch to get Gretsch-type sounds as well as both pickups in series - consigned it at MandoBros, understand some session guy bought it for just that reason
  • 1983 Ovation Ultra GP: nice LP-meets-Strat guitar with factory DiMarzio PU's, never really bonded with it - paid $269 w/HSC, they go for $2500+ today
Question #2 - too many to mention, but here are some standouts:
  • 1967 Epiphone Al Caiola Standard: cherry red, 2 P-90's, dead-mint NOS being sold as used for $150 at Manny's in 1975 - playing exclusively acoustic at the time, just bought a Gibson B45-12 "Lightfoot" and didn't "need" another electric
  • 1969 Gibson Crest: the ultra-rare BRW 330-style thin-hollow with gold 355 appointments and surface-mount mini-buckers, $450 at Manny's in '75 - same reason as above
  • 1966 Gibson EB-3: sweet neck, under seven pounds (lightest I've ever seen), "right" Jack Bruce-era appointments (just before they went to "witch hat" knobs), $265 at Terminal Music in 1977
  • 1967 Epiphone Riviera 12-string: cherry-red, mini-buckers, hiding-in-plain-sight NOS at an off-the-beaten-path music store in southern Brooklyn - finally got sold in 1980 to some lucky picker
  • 1977 Ibanez "lawsuit" Johnny Smith: big blonde 2-PU archtop lovers' dream guitar, $450 w/HSC at Sam Ash in spring '77 - saw George Benson playing the identical guitar in concert a couple months later
  • 1963 Gibson EB-6: a 6-string EB-3 with two standard-size humbuckers, Gibson's little-known answer to the Fender Bass VI and $450 at Manny's in 1978
  • 1959 Gretsch 6120: rode hard/put away wet, played well but needed work, $75 @ We Buy Guitars in 1979 (when nobody wanted Gretsch guitars) - came this close to buying it as a project guitar, according to a Guitar Player article a couple years later it seems Brian Setzer beat me to it
  • 1970 Gibson EB-3: two NOS slotheads (one cherry, one walnut), same music store as the Riviera - cherry got sold in '82, buddy of mine scored the walnut for $300 a week later, still has it TMK
  • 1965 Gretsch Astro-Jet: their short-lived attempt to break the traditional hollow-body mold, arguably a matter of taste if you've ever seen one but many serious Gretsch lovers (myself included) seek them out - $550 @ MandoBros in the early-90's