View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
As I recall, those were not same performance clips. It's a tiny bit tricky doing a same performance comparison between two devices, Lynn Fuston's project relied on the player/performer to duplicate their performance.

Fran
That may be right. By the way, getting way of the original topic, here's how I'd suggest anyone who wants to take you up on your challenge proceed:

Take 2 identical mics, and place them as close together as possible, run mic A to preamp A, mic B to preamp B, record a performance. Make sure levels are matched, and that everything else in the chain is identical (same A/D converters, for example). Now, for good measure, swap the mic cables, so you record mic A into preamp B, and mic B into preamp A. Record again. Now you have 4 mono recordings, two different performances. If, in a blind ABX test, you can pick out both instances of preamp A a statistically significant number of times, I'd say the difference between preamps outweighs the difference in performance. If not, I'd say that the difference between preamps is less than the difference between 2 performances and isn't very interesting. Of course, assuming you can pick out the difference, then we get to the "which one is better" debate, which is a whole different can of worms.