View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Yes, there is. The correct nut height is the same as the frets....because placing a capo in the first fret creates a new 'nut' that is exactly that high. If it doesn't buzz when capoed there, it should not buzz when the nut is the same height.
When you press the string down between the second and third frets, you are theoretically creating a straightedge between the second fret and the nut. But because the string bends across the nut, it actually rises a bit as it crosses from the nut toward the fingerboard. That is one reason why a slight visible space (0.001" to 0.002") over the first fret seems to work best. Another reason for extra clearance is to avoid back buzzes, which are mainly a problem on the 6th string.

If you set the nut height the same as the frets, then the first fret action is automatically determined by the saddle height. In other words, you never have to measure the first fret action, and I never do.

The distance between the nut and first fret is 11.2% of the distance between the nut and 12th fret. Assuming the neck is straight and the nut is set at fret height, the action at the first fret should be 11.2% of the action at the 12th. In other words, unless your 12th fret action is over 3/16", an action of 0.023" at the first fret is way too high. A 12th fret action of 3/32" (0.094") should result in a first fret action of 0.011".
I tried this procedure on my last string change (it certainly makes sense), and, frankly, I am dumbfounded by the results.

I used a StewMac straight-edge between the 2nd fret and the nut slot of the low E string (since there is obviously no string under tension during a string change, so I cannot use a string), and I saw no clearance between the straight-edge and the 1st fret. I had my wife shining a bright light from behind – as Frank recommends – so I think (?!) I am certain of this!

Anyway, I string up the guitar, and the action at the 1st fret is still 0.033” – way too high!

So it would seem that this is totally an issue of the bridge being too high, right?

But when I fret the low E string between the 2nd & 3rd frets (after the new strings are installed), I get a clearance of 0.011” at the 1st fret!

Where did that come from?! There was no visible clearance with the StewMac straight-edge before I strung it up!

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

The frets are level. Relief is good – so I just want to get the nut down to where it needs to be.

By the way, the 1st fret action is 0.033”, and the 12th fret action is 0.105”, so .033/.105 --> 31.4% (Therefore the nut is way too high, right?)

Possibly I will try Charles’ “direct” method at the next string change – which brings me to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The easier way to set the string height at the nut is to measure the height of the first fret and then cut the nut slots until they are that distance above the reference surface - the fingerboard. Theoretically, that will put the depth of the slots at exactly the height of the first fret. Practically, I find that adding .006 to .008, usually graduated from bass to treble strings, avoids buzzing at the first fret. I have no idea - nor is it relevant - what the actual measurement is between the top of the first fret and the bottom of the string.
This procedure certainly makes sense as well, but I am puzzled by one statement.

You say that you add “.006 to .008, usually graduated from bass to treble strings.”

I might be confused, but wouldn’t you want the clearance to *decrease* as you go from the bass E string to the treble E string?

Thanks for any and all replies.