View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM

If you don't think that pick material makes a difference I'd invite you to check out the Taylor "From the Factory" podcast they just recently put up. Apparently Taylor is expanding their branded pick line and they used some new compund they call Thermex. Well they played the regular plastic (cellulose) pick and some of the Thermex ones and wow...what a difference (no I do NOT own Taylor stock nor do I work there)! Even with different Thermex materials ("Ultra" vs "Pro") it was pretty easy to hear the differences in tone and warmth.

Based on the above I purchased a set of the Ultras. Coincidentally to this thread they are the heaviest pick I've ever used. I started playing a few years back with mediums, then my guitar teacher recommended something a little heavier (.9s) for more individual note control (until then I was mainly a strummer) and have now moved to these new Taylors. The Taylor pick that felt and sounded the best to me (the ones I bought) are 1.25s which are probably double the thickness of my originals. The sound though, oh the sound...like I had a new guitar as it brings out the bass while toning down the famous Taylor brightness and hilighting the mid range just perfectly (to my ear anyway) while practically being silent on the strings (no pick noise AT ALL really).

I lent the new pick to a friend and their first statement was shock at the thickness of this pick. Then, they played a little and said exactly what I did ....it's like a totally different guitar (this, on a Martin). They completely fell in love with it instantly and I ended up giving them that pick since it was under $3. Guaranteed I wouldn't have been able to do that with my paycheck and a $35 pick.

So yes, now I'm a believer that pick material (as well as thickness) most definitely plays a role in your sound. The trick is to find what works for you and I think I may just have done that. YMMV.