View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisOMC15E View Post
I don't think it's cheating to edit the best parts of a performance into a finished piece.
I originally tried to do perfect run throughs when I was recording my album, but had the same problem as you, there was usually just one or two fluff ups that spoiled it.
So I decided to record several takes of the whole piece, staying in the right mood and going through from start to finish, not stopping if I made a little fluff up. Leaving all the tone and level controls alone.
I then went though all the takes and chose the track with the best feel and performance, and used that as the sort of 'root' track. Then replaced any fluff ups on that track with edits from the others.
Sorted.

Just a case of making sure you record all the separate takes in one session and take extra care with the editing to make sure the cross fades are undetectable.

All the tracks on my album have at least one edit in them. I don't think it's noticeable and I don't think it's cheating, it's just being pragmatic
thanks. that does sound sensible. and really, you are playing all the parts. one could ask if putting a recording of a song from a few years ago, which isn't readily playable anymore, on a cd is cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fichtezc View Post
I'm glad I came across this thread. I used to be overly proud of having my recordings done in one continuous take. It frequently meant 60 or 70 takes in a row. I would record until the memory on my camera ran out, clear it and then start again. I think after reading this I'll be content with releasing somewhat flawed tracks on youtube but piecing together multiple takes together for my downloads.
those 60 or 70 takes must have been very good practice, though, wouldn't you say? i've been running through takes and just trying to be patient about getting a reasonably good one, figuring it's practice. and practice with the little red light on, even at home, seems a little different than with it off.