View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Since I have often cautioned against using blow driers to speed pickguard removal unless absolutely necessary, I should probably weigh in on this thread.

First, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to learn that you damaged the finish on your guitar. I’m sure you felt gut-punched the instant you realized the extent of the damage. From the photo you posted, it appears as though you pulled the pickguard up at a 90 degree angle to the grain, is that correct?

Very early on, before I ever removed and replaced any pickguards, I read an article explaining how to do it, probably in the old Frets Magazine. What that article explained was that pulling the pickguard WITH the grain could pull up finish and wood fibers, and pulling the pickguard ACROSS the grain could do the same thing. The safest way to go was DIAGONALLY across the grain, because you’re much less likely to pull any finish or wood fibers up along with the pickguard when you do.

So that’s what I’ve always done.

For a while there back in the 1990’s and early aughts I was getting quite a few Larrivee and Tacoma guitars passing through my hands, most of them satin finish instruments. At that time both companies were using clear pickguards, and I absolutely LOATHE clear pickguards (I know, it’s not the least bit rational, but what’s your point?) Anyway, I detest clear pickguards, so the first thing I’d do when I got one of these guitars was replace the pickguard.

So I have replaced pickguards somewhere close to three dozen times. In all those pickguard changes, I’ve only ever had to apply heat from a blow drier once. Every other time squirting a little bit of lighter fluid under the pickguard as needed was all that was required. I’ve never damaged the top or finish in the process.

So, once again, drumstrummer, I’m sorry to hear about the damage that occurred. Should you ever need to remove another pickguard, pull it slowly in a diagonal direction across the grain and squirt in lighter fluid as needed. Hold off using the blow drier unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

I appreciate you weighing in, Wade. This is important stuff. I’ve actually never used heat, just seen it done and figured it was valid. Historically I have always flooded with naphtha/lighter fluid as the pickguard gradually came up. This time, I did not use fluid. I don’t recall the angle to the top at which I pulled, but I did peel WITH the grain.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)