View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 11:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tony has been a good friend for several years. I first met him at Healdsburg 2005, when his exhibit table was right across from me. I was just beginning as a professional luthier, and I was a bit envious of all the people who were constantly gathered around Tony's table and playing his exquisite guitars. That show was in the Luther Burbank Center in Santa Rosa CA, as I recall, and it was a cacophonous racket in that huge hall. But I could hear Tony's instruments cutting through the noise with such sweetness and light- like a cool breeze on a broiling hot day.

It was at Bob Singer's Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival in 2015 when Tony and I really struck a chord. That show was pretty sparsely attended, so us luthiers had plenty of quality hang time with each other. Tony impressed me as an amazingly humble and down to Earth guy, despite his enormous talent and ability. And he's as friendly and kind as the day is long- on the Solstice.

We have had some phone chats that wandered through long paths of personal philosophy, faith, and lutherie as a spiritual practice. We've shared the ups and downs of this life, and commiserated about the trials and tribulations of trying to do well and be good in a world that's off its rocker. Talking with Tony has always been like finding a verdant oasis in the desert.

I think I'll give my friend a call in the next day or two. We haven't caught up in too long of a time. Tony, if you read this, let's chat awhile. I want to hear how you're doing, and what kind of magic you're spinning up these days.