View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I don't have any kind of pickup or jack on the guitar.
I can see that Billy Strings and most all pros have pickups and jacks, and plug into their stage equipment. But Strings also sometimes has a little wire, crudely taped from his sound hole, along the fretboard, and then to? Maybe it is feeding the earphone that he also wears.
Well if I understand you correctly he (Strings) explains it in this "Rig Rundown" interview, starting at about 1:30

So in his case it is the wire from a mic placed inside the sound hole that is blended with the undersaddle pickup and that sound is then fed to his in ear monitors.

But understand that is for use on stage amplified and is a very different situation from an acoustic guitar pull/jamb

As others have mentioned attempting to amplify your sound while might be a solution , (it will mean purchasing a wireless mic and amplification system and in ear monitors) And arguably that is not really the issue or problem.

The problem and solution is probably 3 fold or 2 fold if you think you currently play sufficiently loud
So #1 would be playing a bit louder (but arguably in a group this can backfire and simply cause the others to play louder also)

#2 learning to better hear (developing the learned skill of critical listening) your playing within a group, as opposed to solo.

And also
#2 Addressing the "group" dynamics. Which I am guessing is the real or primary issue BUT can be tricky, particularly if you are the new comer.
Like any group of humans , guitar groups can have a multitude of perspectives and agendas, with good news and bad news. If the participation is based on mutual enjoyment of music and group playing then you may be able to explain your difficulty in hearing your instrument. And suggest as L2OA mentioned that everybody try to become more aware of clearly hearing everyone playing.

But if on the other hand one or more of members view participation as a competition, then You must decide if you can change that attitude, or consider moving on and finding a different group.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4