View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 AM

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but after the last build don't you think your time and money might be better spent seeking out an instrument that actually speaks to you instead of taking the risk of having one built and finding out that it's not the one after all? No matter how skilled the builder there are always going to be variables that are beyond their control when it comes to the nuances of each specific instrument.

When Chris Thile bought his Loar there was a specific run of serial numbers he was looking for.... out of the surviving Stradivarius violins not all of them are considered exceptional. I've read about underwhelming Somogyis and I've read about magical Gibsons and Martins. There are duds and gems at every price point. I'm not saying anything you don't already know. I think it's fantastic that you're in a position to commision instruments and support these luthiers, but it also seems that you're in a place as a musician that you're looking for a very specific sound and it seems like a rather hit or miss way of finding it.