View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
No one has seemed to get the best of the L1 M2, but it costs $3,000, and not too many companies want to "dabble" in that high priced market. Most people are willing to buy the L1M2, at that price, because they trust the Bose brand.
First time I've tried the Bose L1M2 (with Tonematch mixer) I was shocked. Singing into this was unreal, I could hear my voice as if it was in my head because of the "non localization" 180° thing. So I had to own this thing and I did buy it.

Later I realized it was a total overkill for my need and I did eventually find it to sound "digital" and cold. I had to let it go when I first had a Custom Shop Les Paul reissue in my hands (another big shock)

The Bose L1mII is still the very best thing for the application it is meant for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It's just the engineer in me that likes the (impossible) challenge of trying to replicate the acoustic environment in silicone chips. Oh, and, occasionally, I need a system to do some actual performing.
I am suprised the engineer in you did not push you to build your own by yourself. I started the IR process because I was tired of waiting for a pickup solution and saw the potential of combining IR convolution and the Baggs Lyric.

Now my dream would be to have the time to:

* Find or make a stereo TA amulet. Because I really think the first 3 strings (EAD) and next 3 strings (GBE) would benefit from having a separate IR. With stereo IR, it would lead to 4 ouputs. It means I need 4 channels digital DSP but it's no big deal since many DSPs are meant for Dolby 5.1.

* Those 4 ouputs would be 4 speakers or 4 exciters ona flat wood panel and a Bass reflex tuned to the soundhole-box resonance of my D-18.

* Finally I would add a second "stage" with its own box with BMR speakers all round to have my vocals "non localized" like when you sing in your bathroom but without the room resonance. Note I would not go Bose Line array way but more the Bose 901 original idea.

I nearly have all the pieces at home now (BMRs, exciters, amps, power supply, DSP developpement board...) But I have not the time and courage to start.

PS: One thing I am sure is that in my amplification dream. Vocals and guitar are not amplified by the same amp.

lol
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/