View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 AM

Default Dave's compact PA system adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Congratulations!!!!!

That sounds impressive!!! Did you check the impedance and level of the ouput you use on the XR12? I don't see why you'd get more noise from the Harbinger with the XR than plugged straight in.

Did you try the XR12 on headphones?

Note that the noise may come from the Harbinger preamps and not class D amp stage. There must be an optimum gain staging. However I am not surprise. As we have all discovered in those various threads. In those units they kind of save on the preamps and mixer features... That's also why the HK nano also comes now in a "raw" version without Mixer.

Note: The XR12 is known and was measured to be quiet (mic inputs). However the High-impedance inputs are also known to have limited gain. Maybe you are asking too much there, how much gain did you set on the guitar?

Here are measurements made on the XR and UI by a guy on the gearpage forum (or was it gearslutz ?)

Cuki

Hi Cuki,

The high pitched "hiss" noise is coming from the array with nothing plugged into to any input channel on the built in mixer, all gains turned to zero, and the Bluetooth off. It might be a preamp, because it gets louder with the gain is turned up on the speaker input channel. But since the noise was present with the gain turned off, I thought it might be the amp. It was probably there Sunday when I bought it. I just didn't notice it.

The XR mixer is quiet for sure! It seems to be made with quality electronics. The gains were fine on the high Z. I was pleasantly surprised. Only had them set to 5dB. The gain on those high Z inputs is limited to 10dB, I think. But, all my guitars have strong onboard preamps. That's why I figured I'd reserve them for my guitars. Passive piezo or mag pickups might be too weak. It's not staged exactly like an acoustic guitar amplifier. Even my electric guitar has passive and active pickups, so I can use the amp sim through the high Z effectively.

Mic preamps for the E835s were 15dB. There was way more headroom, if needed for weak dynamic mics or condensers.

I'll check the power too. It might just be a defective power supply in the amp. It's a new house and I have clean power there. None of my other equipment is/was noisy.

*shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-15-2017 at 05:11 AM.