View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM

I wish I had time to respond to all the helpful posts individually.

Jeff: Surprisingly I found that I can indeed play a major scale at any position fairly automatically/unconsciously. I'm also familiar with most, if not all, of the chords you mentioned, although I don't think I can play them all in 3 positions nor the inversions. This I need to work on certainly.

Someone pointed out Emily Remler. I checked out a video on YouTube featuring her. It was the same Hot Licks video series as the Joe Pass video I purchased many many years ago (which I don't have with me at the moment unfortunately). Her video is VERY helpful.

I now more 'get' this notion of soloing over the chord tonal changes, incorporating the key (no pun intended) notes to emphasize (for example, the flat third, or flat 7ths, etc), and incorporating the notes of the chord in the notes of the solo..AND using the passing tones to 'approach' those notes. Oh, and the whole 'vibe' of the rhythm/swing elements. I still have loads more to think about and practice, but I'm starting to understand more what is taking place here, getting my head around it ever so slightly more. And, oh man, have I been doing myself a disservice by not using a metronome more. It's something I need to get more disciplined about in my practice sessions.

This thread is doing wonders for my thinking about this topic of jazz.

LJ, thanks I'll check out Pandora too.. I need to listen to more jazz indeed.

On a similar topic... what guitar is most recommended for jazz playing and why? I often see a Gibson ES335 used. Why are these (and others) preferred?

IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.