View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
Rolly is an extremely practical and knowledgeable instructor. I learned my jazz foundation 20+ years ago that I use today. I learned as much from him in two years of study as I have with many instructors since. With all do respect, aren't you the same person that few posts back said:
"I don't know how to learn jazz. I have failed in my many attempts, and that frustrates me. It seems as though there is so much background knowledge required (fretboard, scales, chords, arpeggios, music theory) that playing music quickly becomes anoverwhelming academic task. I end up just feeling like a talentless idiot."
Jeff made a very good point about following the key tones when playing through changes (maj 3-7, dom 3-b7 and min b3-b7) but it does require you to know chords. That's why I recommended what I did. Rolly's teaching system worked well for me.

My $.02
Yes, that's me. Rolly's DVDs were largely responsible for that opinion. They don't represent any kind of method. They are simply an encyclopedia of chords and scales, which he pretty much admits from the outset. There is no application at all. Some of his music theory explanations were interesting, particularly the section about the difference in soloing between diatonic and cycle of fifths progressions. But, beyond that, he doesn't offer a coherent, incremental approach to learning jazz guitar.

I'm sure Rolly is a wonderful human being and excellent teacher in person. But his DVDs were not helpful to me. I felt that there was definitely something missing. Repeated practice of his "nuts and bolts" has lead me nowhere. Perhaps what was missing was the human element.