View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 AM

At present I am teaching myself guitar. I plan to take some lessons in the future, however, on my terms. The advice you received so far IMO is good, however, the important advice is: First you must be happy with the teacher. It is your time and money. Next you tell the teacher exactly what you want now and where you want to go. For example: I have taken classical lessons on clarinet and sax most of my child hood life. What a drag. Past sixty years of age I wanted to learn to play piano and I did not want to take lessons for ten years to do so. I hired a teacher who was also a performer. I told him I wanted to learn songs, song by song the way he played them in the clubs. If he wanted to teach me other stuff, theory, scales, etc. along with the songs fine, but, he must teach me the songs. I had a three hour lesson once a week for 21 months and then quit because I moved to another country. After 21 months I can play piano in a restaurant, dinner club, or hotel lobby and do it well. My only head start was that I knew how to read music to start with. Teachers are good, but, don't let them control you. They work for you, not the other way around. Good luck and keep playing and most of all -have fun. Music has been my life time hobby and at 71 I am still with it.