View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow_D View Post
Oh, so these aren't chords you would find in pop or rock songs? I thought there were some common chord progressions that use them, progressions that I just wasn't aware of and needed to learn.
You wouldn't find them very often in most recent pop music. If you go back to earlier pop music they would turn up here and there, it depends what music in particular you mean. American pop music used to be more jazz influenced (and jazz, influenced by show tunes and such from the era when they could be relatively complex). It was still common up through the 70s to hear pop music with a wide pallette of chord types before going more plain vanilla after that, for the most part. (Not that people don't use them at all now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow_D View Post
So if it's the V chord -- and tell me if I got it wrong -- these G7 and G9 "forms" are chords in/of the key Of C and the examples you gave me to practice are in the key of C?
Songs don't always stay in the same key for the duration of the tune, but to the extent that those were V chords (the first two examples) then yes they resolve to C (minor) which is evident because that's the chord they end on.