View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
In the context of acoustic guitar, nylon string guitar = classical guitar. That's historic and contemporary usage.

However, I would suggest that if you really want to make the distinction that classical guitar refers to the genre, then it is the threads that refer to other than classical music and repertoire that should be moved, not the discussion section that should be renamed. There is another section, General Acoustic Guitar Discussion, that appropriately covers acoustic guitars of any string type.

So, if you really want to make the distinction you raise, move the threads, don't rename the discussion section. Leave this section for discussion of classical guitar and move the threads of discussion related to nylon string not related to the classical guitar repertoire, technique and genre to the general acoustic guitar section.
Bruce, FWIW, I'd agree with the OP and mc1 and another poster who listed several styles of music played on nylon string guitar.

In fact, in my knowledge and understanding of history of music and guitar building (and my history in guitar building takes me to Spain and links me with a builder whose guitars were played by Segovia and Bream, my history in learning the instrument includes lessons with some of the best classical teachers in Toronto and one of the founders of the Toronto guitar society - a tremendously influential group in "classical guitar"), the term "classical guitar" is relatively new - since the time of Segovia. Before Segovia, the guitar was called "Spanish" or "flamenco" guitar and wasn't considered a serious "classical" music instrument.

So I agree whole heartedly with the OP that "Nylon string guitar" is a more appropriate descriptor for this forum subsection.

That said, I am not so dogmatic and pedantic to chase the forum owners for a change to the title. But I do appreciate the OP's point.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia