View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendonlee7 View Post

Quick Question. I'm in the same boat as you SnowManSnow. Purchasing my first plane and taking a look at the Veritas. I noticed you have three options;

Includes a lapped 25° blade, 2-1/4" wide by 3/16" (0.187") thick, in your choice of A2, O1 or PM-V11® tool steel. Lapped 38° and 50° blades are available, as well as a toothed A2 blade for working difficult grain.

Did you go with the A2, 01, or PM-V11? Or does anyone have suggestion for which Jack Plane?

Thanks,

Brendon
I personally went with the PM-V11 iron. I don't have a lot of experience with the others, but reviews were tight, and I didn't want to regret not spending a LITTLE extra to have a great iron with a great plane. The toothed blade is available, but it is for really taking things down. It would be nice to have on hand.. but to something I immediately needed.

I can say as a total plane noob that it using a hand plane is a real skill that will take a lot of rehearsal to get right, but well worth it. There really is something special about hearing that "swoosh" sound from a well made pass that is VERY satisfying.

I'm keeping my eye out for a great block plane next