View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
Hi jdto and all others reading the Halcyon/Tinker thread,

Best wishes for Christmas and the NY.

Jdto - On re-reading the thread I note that you have been thinking of ordering a guitar from Ed. I just wanted to say that I think it's important to have a good conversation with him about the sound you want and then make sure you go with both his advice and your own intuition and experience. My Lutz/Walnut NL-00 is the first 'custom' guitar I've ever purchased. Over the course of the ordering and building process I developed all sorts of expectations that evolved constantly as I received advice from Ed and thought more about woods etc.

Ed's guitars are built to a very high specification even though they are essentially unadorned and quite simple in exterior design - so you should have no concerns on that front or regarding playability etc. I believe that Ed's characteristic, overall sound derives to a large extent from his aim to produce a very light, resonant and responsive guitar - so again I don't think you should have any doubts about these qualities.

I'd suggest that any prospective purchaser focus their attention on the actual tonal qualities they are after - warmth, colour, overtones, 'bassiness', richness and 'woodiness', volume etc - and let that guide choice of woods, size, design and handling (fretboard, nut etc).

I suggested to Ed that I was after a very clear finger style sound and that's what he came up with. A guitar that:
- is quite loud, very responsive and resonant, very sensitive and having great dynamic range
- has a sound and quite a strident mid and treble voice
- has a clear and quite balanced bass voice, but I'd say not at all like that I've heard from say a spruce/rosewood Martin 00.
In retrospect I've wondered what my guitar would sound like with lutz/mahogany woods rather than walnut, mahogany lending (to my mind) a warmer, 'dryer' and overall more 'gutsy' and sweeter timbre when driven than walnut.

I subsequently decided that I'd like to try an 'Ed' guitar with a bit more bass, tonal colour and bloom. He advised that I go for his SJ model with a Lutz/RW body. Coincidentally he had a Lutz/Macacauba (similar to EIR) cutaway SJ in stock which seemed to match very much what I was after. It's on its way after Christmas and I'm very much looking forward to its arrival!

I live a long way from Vancouver and it's a bit weird buying a guitar without being able to play it. Ed did send photos and a short sound clip but it's not quite the same has having the instrument there on your lap. However I have a lot of faith in what Ed is doing and in his understanding of what I'm after.

Hope these musings are of assistance,

Sam.
Hi Sam. Thanks for the message and the kind words. Your advice is sound and I've been through the process with Ed and we settled on the Lutz/Walnut NL-00. I expect I'll be getting it very soon.