View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 09:04 AM

I've always thought that the mid cuts on mags needed to be a little lower than the mid cuts on piezo pickups, say the 600Hz to 800Hz range for mags and the 1KHz to 1.5KHz range for piezo pickups.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the Black Angel mag. I initially used a 660Hz cut with the Black Angel, but I'm now getting better results with a 1.2KHz cut. I honestly can't tell you if the need for that cut is more a function of the BA or the particular guitar its in. I just know that the 1.2KHz cut is sounding better to me.

When I get the time, I'll be making some test recordings to double-check my findings with that rig.

Luthier Dave Wendler invented a MagPi pickup system which passively combines a mag pickup with a piezo SBT. I owned one of his MagPi-equipped ElectroCoustic guitars for a year before I finally discovered that a cut at 3KHz worked best with it. It took so long to discover that because I had never before owned a guitar/pickup rig that needed a cut that high.

These days I'm trying to have fewer preconceptions about what EQ adjustments are needed, and to let my ears be the guide.