View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'd definitely call a KM184 a small diaphragm mic. I haven't seen the size of the capsule published, but the form factor and size are basically the definition of a small diaphragm. Neumann has a nice page describing the characteristics of large vs small, using the 184 as the small example and an 87 as the large: https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/e...gm-microphones

For live use, I normally use a KM184 if it's up to me, I've just had decent luck with them. But I've used other mics, sometimes the venue has something they like, or maybe I'm sharing a setup with someone else who has preferred mics. As long as the mic is directional enough to not feedback, I don't find live situations as touchy as recording scenarios.

I'm basically at the point of often preferring my setup with an internal mic, tho. It's more predictable, easier to dial in, etc. When possible, I'm leveraging the internal mic, ToneDexter, and the Sunnaudio preamp to produce a stereo sound that I'm quite happy with. But I'd start by getting comfortable with a single-source/ToneDexter setup first, as you're doing, before messing with blending in mics. TD alone is such a major improvement, that it's enough, without obsessing like I tend to do :-) and of course a lot depends on the setting, style, and so on.
Hi Doug
Thanks for the input. Your advice is always thorough and prudent…two great things when it comes to being successful with gear.

The article from Neumann was interesting, and seems to indicate that they only view condenser mics as small or large, whereas other companies call some of their models medium diaphragm.

Of course the important thing is what results one gets with the mics they choose.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-18-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added a sentence