View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

How is it that seemingly so many buyers buy guitars who's tone they are disappointed with and then look for ways to improve it? It suggests that many buyers do a poor job of identifying what tone they want and evaluating whether or not individual instruments are capable of providing that tone.

In the sub-$1600 range, there is a huge number of guitars from which to choose. Except in rare circumstances, on an instrument of that price range, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money trying to tailor the sound of a relatively new, mass-produced instrument. Sure, lots of things can be done, but probably not much should be done. It usually makes far better sense to sell the instrument that doesn't meet one's preferences and replace it with one that does. With so much choice available, there really isn't a need to keep - even as "beater" guitars - an instrument who's sound one doesn't really like.

Here's my exception: I want a Martin dread. I love the sound of an HD-28.

I also have some ligament damage in my fretting hand. After playing countless guitars by countless brands, I have satisfied myself that Martin's "Modified Low Oval" neck shape combined with a 1-11/16" nut allows me to perform my best, for the longest periods, and with the least amount of risk of further injury.

The MLO neck shape does not come stock on any 28 series Martins with a 1-11/16" nut. They offer it on their post 2018 guitars but those all have 1-3/4" nuts. Most everything that is pre-2018 has the "Low Profile" shape, at least in the 28 (and up) Dread lines with rosewood backs/sides.

Occasionally, there is a used custom offered online in another part of the country, but for the most part if you want a 28 series (or 35) with an MLO and 1-11/16", you have to special order. Those are high priced (worth it) and also take at least 6 months to produce.

Then, there is the 16 series, which is what this post is discussing. It has an MLO with 1-11/16" nut, and mine, the D-16RGT, has rosewood sides. However the top is A-braced and as such, is no HD-28.

It has a mortis tenon neck joint, so, just swapping the neck into an HD-28 is not easy (or worth the cost, as I'd have to have a luthier do it and would spend as much on that as I would ordering a custom).

I'm saving to order the HD-28 custom I want (soon). Once ordered, it will be more than 6 months out and during the wait I can't just 'not play' guitar. So I have to keep the D-16 until then. Even when it does arrive, a custom HD-28 is not really a good 'beater' guitar, so I want to have something else for live play, campfires, etc., one that also has an MLO and 1-11/16" nut.

The only true "beater" Martin dread that has an MLO and 1-11/16" nut is an early year, fake wood DX1. So, I could, after securing the HD-28 I seek, sell the D-16 to recoup some cost and then search for and buy a DX1. But I'd only re-pocket about $300, and then I'd have a fake wood beater guitar instead of a solid wood guitar.

In the past 12 months, I've either borrowed, bought and sold, or traded for:

1971 D-28 with a (Full Profile neck - incredible sound - hurt my hand) I considered having the neck shaved bouldn't find a luthier who wanted to do it or even could for at least 6 months. It was a pristine guitar.
2017 D-35 (Low Profile neck - nothing special in sound - hurt my hand)
2012 D-28 (Low profile neck - nothing special in sound - hurt my hand)
2018 HD-28 retro (1-3/4" nut with an MLO - incredible sound, but not possible)
2003 DX1 (right neck, wrong materials in build - also needed a reset to be playable, and is not worth the cost)

I've been to countless stores and played Collings, Gibsons, Taylors, Larivees, Lowdens, etc. The point is: I've searched, sampled, and tried a lot of guitars.

I have this D-16RGT now. I got a good deal on it used. It plays fine. Just sounds 'tame'. It does still fall within the Martin dread sound and does have the neck I prefer. For the above reasons, it's worth keeping for 6 months and maybe more. And because I like the way certain instruments sound, and this one is shy of the mark, I'm trying to figure out how to "sweeten" it to my taste, if possible. If not, okay. I knew when I bought it it wasn't an HD-28.

So, that's why in my case: "buy guitars who's tone they are disappointed with and then look for ways to improve it" and "keep an instrument who's sound one doesn't really like."