Thread: killing mold
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Dry techniques are "OK"; but, they may not be as effective as you wish. You probably will not be able to get all of the "musty" small out. For sterilization of complex structures a gas would work better. There are two gases which we used in the cleaning of the Hart Senate Office Building (for anthrax). The first, chlorine dioxide, is too corrosive for use on a guitar. The second, ethylene oxide, is often used on delicate artwork (We used ethylene oxide on Senator Daschle's Bear rug that was hanging in his office). Either of them are, by nature of their utility, dangerous to work with and toxic to almost all living things. If you have a museum nearby, they probably have a contact for a sterilization contractor or company. When I wortked at the University of Georgia , they had their own facility with a sealed chamber for exposure and gas neutralization facilities.

My advice is to try the rice and baking soda method (Only a few very differentially specialized organism can feed on sodium bicarbonate and I don't believe that it will be a problem with most molds and fungi if you remove the obvious residue.) and if that is not satisfactory, investigate the cost of a ethylene oxide treatment.

NOTE: Please, take this from an expert, DO NOT TRY TO PERFORM AN ETHYLENE OXIDE STERILIZATION, even if you can get the gas.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.