View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Congratulations Jim,

I hope that your new & great Flea 47 makes you & your recordings very happy in the new year. Nice love seat too.

It's just so great, after the all the MXL's, Rode's & hundred dollar dynamic mic's we see, to have someone share a truly high-end Pro Studio LDC mic with us here at AGF. I don't think I've ever seen a 47 or 47 clone like your Flea mentioned before at this site before, ever. Brave soul, Jim - Ha!

I can't wait to hear your recordings, Jim. Hope it's everything you'd hoped for & more. When your friend recovers, a 47 shoot-out would be a really fun thing to share here. Hope it works out & that he recovers soon.

Truly a Happy New Year for you, brother.!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

PS: Wonder how the Flea 47 stacks up against the Blizzard?
Thanks much, Chris,

I have a bunch of songs in various stages of production but over time I'm going to redo all the vocal tracks with the 47. That might not be all that soon because I'm going to invest in some mic pres. Right now I have a a Demeter VTMP-2c and a 2-channel Hardy M1. Both are very good pres but I'm not sure either is the right pre to pair with the Flea for vocals. The Demeter is a tube pre and works well paired with my Blue Kiwi but I'm not a huge fan of the tube mic/tube pre combo. I'll likely give it a go though just because I'm curious. The M1 is a very clean pre and doesn't color the audio. I use it for tracking acoustic guitar and it does a very nice job. Not sure that totally clean is the direction I'd want to go for vocals though.

My plan is to pick up an API 500 series lunchbox and grab a few pres between now and the summer. Hopefully, I can find them used and save a few bucks. The pres I'm leaning towards are the Neve 511, the A Designs P-1, and the Chandler TG2-500. Three very different flavors. We'll see how that goes. Musically, 2017 is going to be a fun year.

Cheers! And Happy New Year!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube