View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Default Astrand OM build

Hi to everyone
Thought i would share with you a build by Ted Astrand (Sweden). The build has already started and Ted has kindly sent over some photos of the progress so far so thought i would post these for your viewing pleasure.

Also Just a quick thanks to everyone at TNAG London for their help so far.They have all been incredibly busy at the moment with various things including a crowdcube campaign and completely relocating their shop lock, stock and barrel..Always helpful and Michael and Ben always willing to offer advice or suggestions.

I thought that a little info about Ted would be a nice way to introduce the man himself (although i'm pretty sure a lot of you may already be aware of his work)..This extract is from his own website...Apologies Ted!!! but you did say post as i see fit..LOL

Biography so far...

Before pursuing the art of luthiery I had training in both music, art and woodworking.
I studied a 3 year full-time guitar building course at The Academy of Musical Instruments in Stockholm, Sweden. I built classical , steel-string and archtop guitars. I received my bachelor’s degree in guitar building and passed the tests with honor for my journeyman's certificate as a luthier. My passion has always been with the steel-string acoustic guitar so it came naturally to me to explore it further.

I was fortunate enough to become the first and only apprentice under Jason Kostal at Kostal Guitars. I travelled to Phoenix, Arizona to work under Jason to learn the approach of building a modern steelstring guitar and how to voice a guitar for maximum responsiveness. Jason is a highly respected luthier worldwide and the tonality of his guitars has influenced the work I do today. I now build my guitars from my new workshop in Gothenburgh Sweden.

And Ted on the The art of luthiery...

I say the art of luthiery because I truly believe guitar-making to be an art form. Throughout the whole process of building a guitar I treat each object and piece of wood like it’s a piece of art.

I am currently creating 8-10 guitars annually. Each part of the guitar is made completely by hand and with simple woodworking tools to achieve perfection both tonally and aesthetically. I spend around 200+ hours working on each instrument. From start to finish the instrument is built during a period of 3-4 months. I only use the best materials available and never rush any part of the process. I am a one man shop by choice which means that I can focus on only creating the highest quality craftmanship, tone and playability.

The guitar in question is Teds OM model with the following details

Model: Å-OM
Back&sides: Old Growth (1950's)Brazilian Rosewood
Top: European "moon" spruce
Headcap: Amboyna burl (so nice!!)
Rosette: Amboyna burl
Bindings: Ebony
End Wedge: Amboyna burl

Nut width: 1 3/4" (44.5 mm)
Bridge string spacing: 2 1/4" (57.15mm)
Scale: 25"
Fretboard radius: 16"
Tuners: Gotoh 510

Custom options:
Soundport
Backstrip

Hope you enjoy following the build

First photo to start off with.Old growth Brazilian (early 1950's)

A few Pictures of the Top selected and the Amboyna Burl which will be used for the Rosette, Headplate, end graft and an insert into the back. http://www.wood-database.com/amboyna/

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: further information