Thread: Martin SC-13E
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
the way i look at this model is not to compare it to any other Martin i've owned or played. it has the genetics and the tone of the Martin lineage, but its not a model that was designed to compete with any other Martin guitar. this is a model fully designed from the ground up, to open up exploration into the guitar world that many of us have never taken a step in or towards. and it does so with good looks, feels great in the hand or on the lap, and with a very reasonable cost.

the SC13 gives access to playing that an OM or dreadnaught simply can't-and thats not a thumbs down on the traditional models. it is a model that offers many different directions of play than what many of us are used to having. its not in competition to any other Martin, it occupies its own spot in the group and offers its own journey of sound and touch.

this is a new tool, a new crayon color that is vibrant, fun, and playful. it allows you to go in places and areas that you may have avoided your whole playing life. it opens up exploration and does so in a comfortable and fun manner.

i've never ever cared for extra light string sets....until i spent 15 min with an SC13, then it became clear what this model was offering me. a new moment into areas of playing that i had never taken, or had access in such a friendly format.

standard light gauge will thicken the tone definitely, will give you that edge back more towards the traditional Martin tone, but it will take away a little of the freedom you are offered with the xtralights.

i've had an SC13 totally apart, they are built extremely well and with quality parts and precision. they are different, very different, than any set neck acoustic. they remind me a lot of a fender tele or strat in many ways, especially the neck.

the body is really pretty and has a rounded touch to the edges and along the line shapes. its a very ergonomic slick design.

i've owned many models of Martin, Taylor, Guild, Maton, Goodall, Collings, Gibson,and some luthier builds. I've never had as much fun playing guitar as i have when i've had the SC13 in my hands.

d
Yeah, it’s the perfect solution to a non-existent problem.