View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 PM

Default Tension description is in part accurate...

Within a given brand and string type the given tension is comparative. High tension strings are of a higher tension than normal tension strings. So in this way at least the tension description is scientifically accurate; tension being the force imparted by the string as it is tuned.

Things become less clear when comparing tensions of different string types within the same brand. For example, normal tension nylon trebles will not necessarily be the same tension as fluorocarbon trebles also described as normal tension. However, within the same brand different string types will broadly speaking fall within a similar tension range: with strings described as normal tension all tending to have less tension than strings described as hard tension.

To make things more confusing, comparisons between brands aren’t so easy; one brand’s normal tension could be easily be comparable with another brand’s hard tension. An example of this being D’Addarion Extra Hard Tension Nylon actually having less tension than Savarez Corum Alliance Hard tension. I’m this example there’s also the use of the terms ‘hard’ and ‘extra hard’ to denote increasing tension. This does not mean the strings are actually harder - hardness is a scientific term with a very precise meaning - but a ‘hard’ string of the same brand and type could be described as ‘harder’ to play due to having an increased tension when compared with a ‘normal’ or ‘low’ tension string of the same brand and type.

Hopefully this makes at least some sense. I found it harder to explain than I thought once I started typing!