View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstream View Post
I have several Santa Cruz guitars and really like them, or of course, I wouldn't own them. I have only bought one brand new. I had the occasion to get a dream guitar, and checked into trading some of my Santa Cruz guitars. By three different dealers, I was told mine had a rising belly, too wet or too dry, always something. They also told me that Santa Cruz guitars tend to be more"delicate and develop problems more easily than other brands. Mine still play great, but it seems they are not worth much in trade or for sale. If only one dealer told me this I would blow it off, but it seems to be a pretty wide spread opinion. I keep them in a properly humidified toom and take excellent care. Your thoughts/opinions?
The fact that it wasn't a consistent something suggests there may be nothing at all wrong with your guitar. IME Santa Cruz guitars are not built more lightly than comparable guitars by other small builders or even factories building in a prewar Martin style. They're not "built like tanks" but neither are they "on the brink of self destruction".

It's more likely that the dealers you're working with don't typically deal in SCGC guitars and therefore are being overly cautious, or they're just trying to beat you down. We don't like to think the "reputable" dealers would do that, but some will. I once had a well known vintage dealer try to beat me down on a consignment price due to "internal issues that I probably wasn't aware of and wouldn't understand". Of course, I knew the guitar inside and out and had high resolution photos of all the bracing. I thanked him for his time and sold it on my own....for about 3 times what I would have netted on consignment after fees and repairs.