View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Ah, the adjustable truss rod issue.

I'll add a couple of opinions going in opposite directions.

1) The further along we go in the guitar game, the less we seem to use the adjustable truss rod (maybe too much of a generalization?). If the relief is correct, then it's correct, and if the action and/or playability is off, something else needs to be adjusted. And if anything on the fret board is going through a minor seasonal change, the required adjustment can be done with the fretting fingers.

2) Most guitars have adjustable truss rods, they sure are nice to have if a little tweak is needed, even if, theoretically, it's not the truss rod that needs to be tweaked.

All the guitars in my very small herd sound very good to me, even though they all have adjustable truss rods, and I'm glad they're adjustable.

And none to their truss rods have been adjusted since their last checkups with a knowledgeable luthier.
I had my HD-28V for 7 years and every winter the strings would go so low there'd be lots of buzzing even though I humidifed the room there'd be times when it would dry out enough to affect the action. In the summer with high humidity the action would get so high as to almost be unplayable. So it was great to have the ability to adjust the truss rod.
Now I have 2 authentics and the action doesn't move ever regardless of the humidity.
Regardless of whether I kept the HD-28V or not I imagine someday I might be looking at a neck reset. I'm not sure what that has to do with having an adjustable or non adjustable truss rod.