View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereimazn View Post
I'm currently doing trial/error experiments with various strings on my Tak. I've gone from extra lights to mediums, with various brands. The Tak, having maple b/s, just has that "tinny" tone. There's almost no low end, and highs seem to be too bright.
However, I don't want to sell the guitar because it's decent when plugged in, but I know I can get it to sound better with a new set of strings.

Are there any others strings that can give me a warmer, less tinny sound?
I use and endorse John Pearse strings, and think that you might like either the phosphor bronze alloy or perhaps the John Pearse nickel strings, as well.

I also use and endorse the John Pearse armrest, which is designed to lift your forearm off the top in order to allow it to vibrate to its fullest extent. This will generally give you a more emphatic and fuller bass response.

The armrests attach along the edge of the top, directly over the lining on the inside. This area of the top doesn't vibrate, because the lining holds the told rigidly there, so no sound is dampened when an armrest is used. The armrest is also easily removed, should you decide you don't like it.

Here are some of the different styles that are available:

A quick and easy way to determine whether a Pearse armrest will help the tone of your guitar is to strum a vigorous first position E chord, then, as the chord is still ringing, lift your arm off the top.

If you can hear a change in the tone when your arm is lifted, and you LIKE that change, then you should consider installing an armrest on the guitar.

I typically use OM and smaller guitars, and I find the Pearse armrest to be essential in getting the fullest tone possible out of those instruments. So you might find it helpful, as well.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller