View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Don't overthink the lesson and music theory education.

Jumping into the concept of "teaching chords in the key of C", etcetera is a recipe for failure.

99% of the people just want to have some fun and play some songs - they don't give a rip about music theory....at least not yet.

The 1% who do care, will be looking for professional teachers and planning on studying music in college.

Look up Steve Stine videos on Youtube. Phenomenal hard rock/metal guitarist who also happens to have the best attitude about teaching guitar that I've ever seen. his entire premise is to make is fun, there is no right or wrong, music is supposed to be fun so just do what's fun.

Keep that approach in mind.

You will, in my opinion, have much better success by teaching him to play a simple song on day one. He will go home amazed and happy that he can play a song. That boosts self confidence, entertains and provides the "hook" that most people need to keep learning. That's why most are there.

The voracious desire for theory comes after getting hooked on playing music and wanting to take it to the next level....not vice-versa.

If he goes home thinking "great.....I spent hours learning what chords come in what order but I still can't make any music" his interest in guitar will wane quickly.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240