View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Beginning teacher

I'm going to attempt to teach guitar to a individual or two.

I've had a former co-worker asked about learning to play. He has already picked up a guitar and was frustrated with figuring out where to start. Seems he has learned a few chords that he can play very haltingly. He wanted to get a few pointers from me, and thinks my playing, which is predominately rhythm guitar, is impressive. So I offered to do some weekly lessons.

As a way to have a structured approach, I'm thinking of using Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method books, which I used myself when I took formal lessons decades ago. I think the simple melodies in the early Mel Bay stuff will give him something to work on that aids development of his dexterity, and the Modern Guitar Method promotes a music theory background to aid in understanding where the more advance stuff come from when he gets to that point.

Adding to that, we can take his mixed bag of chords he has started with and work on playing rhythm at the same time for what pop and country songs he's interested in. Mel Bay starts with key of C, and learning the F chord somewhere in the middle of Book 1 is a killer for most beginners. So the supplemental chords work that I'm planning to include outside the Mel Bay book will start with key of G, because he already picked up G,C, and D. I figured go with what he started, and the progression thru Modern Guitar Method will introduce the C,F,G7 chords just as he has figured out how to get thro a G,C,D7 progression

Any thought of the plan, or tips or thoughts about what I'm going to attempt?