View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile Tapered fretboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
This will give you a general idea of the fretboard and headstock shape. I've always appreciated the tapered fretboard style and often wondered why it is so rarely used--does anyone ever play on those upper frets?
Of course it looks odd since this design is so rarely used, but I think some of the modern-style luthiers (I know of a only a few who've made examples of this) could create different styles of tapered fretboards that are very attractive--you can use a straight line like on mine, or use a curvy style, in any number of different ways, depending on what fret you start the taper, how many total frets you want, etc.
Anyways, I like the look, but I don't expect it to become common anytime soon!
I looked at numerous examples of vintage and vintage reproduction instruments for ideas and this is what Tim and I settled on. It has 22 frets.

Yes, that fretboard is Pernambuco! It should make an excellent fretboard, but of course due to it's extreme rarity and light color, it's not exactly a popular choice. I think this particular piece is going to look very nice once it's fretted and oiled.
Headstock veneer is a very dark, streak-free piece of quartersawn Gabon Ebony.

I like it too. John Kinnaird and I have been discussing somthing a bit similar on my upcoming build.
I play with a rather low setup and often am playing with my thumbpick over the end of the fretboard in a quest for the most possible bass tone. This concept would reduce the pick bonking frets and the " snare drum effect"

My goodness this axe is a beauty! Glad you finally got the pesky pernambuco bent!

Have a wonderful day

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More